Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Yogurt with fruit or with frozen fruit.

This also is a very simple recipe.  And it is a great way to use frozen or canned fruit to provide a full fruit serving in your day, especially when  you can't find fresh fruit at reasonable prices.  It is a lot healthier than those yogurt cups that have ... well... basically a squirt of fruit jelly in them to flavor them, which is what you are buying in those flavored yogurt cups.

To do this the least expensive way, buy plain yogurt (or vanilla yogurt) in large tubs or make your own homemade yogurt... or scrounge stores for cheap yogurt cups, like the 25¢ a cup Stoneyfield Farms Greek yogurt cups I found at Amelia's this week.

If I am making yogurt up for lunches or breakfast for the week, I will line up my bowls (with lids) and put in about 1/2 cup frozen fruit, top with 1/2-3/4 cup yogurt, and whatever sweetener I would like to use (if using plain yogurt... the vanilla is already sweetened.) I put the lids on, and put them in my fridge. When I go to eat them, I stir them up, and eat.  My favorite is frozen black cherries, though they are hard to find inexpensively. This is also awesome with frozen mango (which is a clean 15 food), frozen strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries.  I also like frozen peach slices.

However, recently, I found an even cheaper alternative. I have cans of pineapple tidbits I bought for 75¢ at Target, which contain 5-1/2 cup servings.  At 15¢ a serving, it is hard to get frozen fruit at this price.  However, pineapple and milk often will curdle when put together, so I package my pineapple separately from my yogurt... when I go to eat it, I just pour the pineapple over the yogurt and eat (I do mix some sweetener into the plain yogurt), rather than mixing it all together.  With my organic Greek yogurt find this week, I now have organic yogurt and a fruit serving from the clean 15 list for 40¢.

No comments:

Post a Comment