Monday, April 28, 2014

Cucumber Salad Recipe

This week, Aldi's had a great deal on cucumbers... 29¢ each.  I can remember the day when it was easy to come by cucumbers at 4/$1 or 5/$1, but in recent years, the price has jumped often to 75¢ or more each.  I was tickled to get them at this price this week. here, you can see them nestled on top of the bags of carrots I also stocked up on at Aldi's for 49¢ a bag.

I live in PA dutch country, and we like our sweets and sours, so this is a basic "pickling" recipe I use over and over... however, you do need to adjust the sugar/vinegar ratio to suit your own personal taste or either sweeter or more vinegary.

"Pickling Juice"
1 cup water
1 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
salt and pepper to taste
Mix all together in a large bowl until all sugar is dissolved.

For this simple salad:

3-4 cucumbers sliced very thin (if waxed, like they are at Aldi's peel first.  If not waxed, I like to let the shell on... and I use my pampered chef slicer to get this very very thin)
1 onion, sliced very thin.

Put them in the pickling juice, refrigerate,  and let sit for at least 24 hours.

I also use the same pickling juice recipe for tripe, picked heart or pickled tongue.  Yes, these are PA dutch delicacies as well... however, tripe, tongue and heart are difficult to get at decent prices these days!




No comments:

Post a Comment