Sunday, April 20, 2014

Ham Pot Pie, Pennsylvania Dutch Style

In my neck of the woods, pot pie is NOT a deep dish baked pie.  It meat broth, meat, onions, potatoes, .pot pie noodles, which are typically a thick homemade noodle,  and sometimes hard cooked eggs.. and parsley.  Chicken is probably the most well known, but my favorite is ham.  If I make a ham, it is a pretty sure bet the next thing on the menu is ham pot pie... unless I have an abundance of green beans, which then lends to another PA dutch classic, Ham and green beans.

The thing with pot pie is this: I never use a recipe. In fact, the way I learned to make pot pie noodles was be requesting to watch several people make them.  And being the lazy cook I am these days, and I am usually making this after a large meal for family, I generally am tired enough to depend on bagged pot pie noodles which are easy to get here, especially in Amish markets.  They are much more expensive though.  You will be able to tell by my "recipe" for this meal, I don't typically use a recipe. :)

Ingredient list:
ham bone
left over ham bits
4 potatoes, diced (or more.  My dad loves lots of potatoes. I don't)
2 onions, diced
6 hard cooked eggs, chopped
dried parsley, 1/4 c
Pot pie noodles

In a soup pot, cover your ham bone with water and simmer. If you have leftover drippings from cooking a ham, add that too.   After simmering, remove bone and strain excess fat.  Add parley, onions and potatoes, bring to a boil

Meanwhile, make your pot pie noodles:

     2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 c. water
Boiling pot pie broth

Mix oil into dry ingredients. Stir in lightly beaten egg and water. On a floured board, roll out as thin as possible and cut in 2" squares. 

By now, your broth with the potatoes and onions in it should be at a rolling boil:
Drop in squares 1 by 1. Stir with a spoon after each addition and make sure you are not going so quickly the boil stops. Dough squares must be covered by liquid. Stir again and cover pot and cook for at least  20 minutes. If you must add water, add "boiling" water.  When it is done, the noodles will be tender and the broth will be thick and gravy like.  

After noodles are cooked, stir in bits of ham meat and chopped hard boiled eggs.  I usually make a pretty meaty pot pie, so I use the bits I scraped from the bone and the pieces from carving that are on the smaller side.  Heat through and serve.  When serving leftovers, it often helps to add a tablespoon of water or so. 

This is almost always served with a side of coleslaw in Lancaster County, PA. 

This is a rich, yummy meal, and the precise meal I cried over after coming home from Haiti... because I was rich enough to have 6 eggs in my refrigerator.  Even with a budget of "just" $25 a week for groceries, I am so grateful for the bounty that fills me refrigerator and cupboard.  


2 comments:

  1. Sorry but you'll never convince me that noodles are pot pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly... this is definitely a regional idea! But this is the way the PA dutch do it.

    ReplyDelete