Friday, April 25, 2014

Pantry Challenge!

Over the last several weeks, I have spent more than $25 a week for groceries.  That isn't a bad thing... it left me stock up on some staples, and take advantage of some really good sales.  Because of that, my menus for next week are going to be developed around what I have, not what I can buy (unless I find something too good to pass up).  So, I am going to aim to spend no more than $10 a week for the next two weeks, mostly on perishable items, such as milk, fresh fruits and veggies, and bread.

While I can provide you with a weekly menu, the purpose of my blog isn't so much for you to follow it each step as to learn how you need to shop, stock, and plan so that you too can achieve the same savings.  You will not be able to duplicate everything that I do. For example, I often buy meats that are reduced for sale that day. You are not going to be able to find these. Or you may not have a Aldi's or the same access to farmers markets that I do.

The other thing having a pantry challenge does is help us from developing a stash of food that never gets used and eventually goes bad. I have been very guilty of this in the past, especially since I love to grocery shop, and really hate to cook.  Together, the two can add up to lots of wasted food.

Take a moment to look in your refrigerator.  What is in there that needs used?  What do you like to eat that uses those ingredients?  What did you put in your freezer a year ago that might not ever see the light of day?  What about your cupboards?  How many canned goods to you have that are more than a year old?

What kind of meals can you plan from YOUR pantry this coming week?  Let us know in the comments below!

The picture?  I only wish I produced something like this from my kitchen. This was at Hash House A Go Go in Las Vegas, Nevada, and a meal feature on Man Vs. Food.  This is a pile of luscious, buttery smashed potatoes topped with a split biscuit, scrambled eggs, spinach, bacon, sage fried chicken breasts, chipotle cream... all topped off with grilled cheese.   For a Vegas meal, it was inexpensive and enough for 2 (or even 3) people.

No comments:

Post a Comment