Tuesday, April 1, 2014


April 1, 2014

One of the big tricks of tightwad cookery is finding creative and flavorful recipes using the ingredients you have on hand, and the items that are most inexpensive.  Right now, I have a large stock of cabbage bought when it was 29¢ a pound  leading up to St. Patrick's Day.  One can only eat so much steamed or plain sauteed cabbage before you get tired of it... no matter how much you like cabbage.  I've been known to bring home 100 lb of cabbage at a time when I've been able to buy all 100 lb for $1 at a produce auction.  This forces looking for creative cabbage recipes!

I also admit to being a very lazy cook. I love cabbage rolls. I hate the work that goes with them.  As with many recipes, I often scour the internet, and then tweak several recipes into one that works for me.  This recipe for Cabbage Roll Casserole is no exception.

What is your favorite cabbage recipe?



Lazy Man's Cabbage Roll Casserole

1 lb of ground beef, as lean as possible (2.07, mix of ground beef and turkey)
1 onion, diced (17¢)
4 garlic cloves, minced (20¢)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 of a large cabbage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces(50¢)
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice (45¢)
1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce ($1)
2- cups of water or beef broth. (using water)

Brown the beef, and drain any extra fat.  Add onion to skill, along with garlic and spices.  Cook until the onions become transparent. Remove from heat

Stir in the remaining ingredients.  Spoon into a 13x9 pan. Cover with foil

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 90 minutes.  Check about 60 minutes in and if it seems dry, add an extra 1 cup of water or broth. If you like your cabbage and rice super soft, cook for a total of 120 minutes.

Serves 6 at 345 calories per serving. 

73¢, estimating 10 cents of spices per serving (most of my spices have been in my cupboard a long time... I have no way of calculating cost at this time) so, 83¢ per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment