Thursday, May 1, 2014



Scrounge the Fridge for Leftovers

An essential part of Tightwad Cookery is not letting things to go waste.  It doesn't have to be a boring repeat of exactly what you ate previously.  Once a week (or more) you will find "scrounge for leftovers"

Here was one such recent meal for me.  When I looked, I found some leftover pickled red beets, mashed potatoes, pork loin, ham broth, and asparagus.  While I simply heated the asparagus, potatoes, and pork loin, I made a nice gravy out of the small amount of ham broth I had left (a 1/4 cup of ham drippings can be used to make about 1 cup of gravy. I like to use milk instead of water with ham gravy), and since I had my fill of cold pickled beets this week, I turned the leftover beets into Harvard beets by simmering them in their pickling juice with a little corn starch to thicken it.

There would have been other great things to do as well. Had I had some leftover rice, the pork loin is great for fried rice.  Mashed potatoes cooked in a pan with a little butter and sauteed onions is a great side dish reminiscent of perogies, a popular Polish dish.  I could have used the asparagus and chopped pork loin in a a quiche, omelet, or frittata.

What is leftover in your fridge right now that you can transform into a new meal?  Share with us below!

No comments:

Post a Comment