Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Paying cash for groceries

In a world where it is so easy to swipe a card and pay for everything, I really like using cash. I will admit, this is a suggestion I've taken from my Financial Peace University class, and it serves me well. In my wallet, I have an envelope for groceries, clothing, gifts, hair/cosmetics (I know, everyone who knows me is laughing... I rarely indulge), and my personal blow money.   Every pay period, I write myself a check, go through the bank drive through, and ask for it in ones, fives, and tens.  That way I have change to divide it up the way it is supposed to go.

And since I really don't want to go to the cash register and not be able to pay, I walk through the grocery store with a calculator in hand. It is a GREAT way to not spend money I don't have for groceries.  Some weeks I go under, some I am over.  The excess stays in there until weeks when I am stocking up.

The other great thing about using cash... it actually bolsters my savings by about $1000 a year.  I use a tip I heard from Suze Orman.  When I get change, I keep it. I don't spend it. Yes... if my bills is $2.01, I fork over $3, not 2 ones and a penny.  I put it in the zipper compartment of my wallet, and at the end of the day I put it in a piggy bank.  My "savings" are typically about $250 a quarter this way.  Typically, I go to a coin star and get a free card (no charge if you get a gift card) to use at Lowe's.  I've replaced many of the 40 year old light fixtures in my house this way.  If I don't want a card from a free vendor offered at a coinstar kiosk, I take them to my local bank for counting.

I also am a "Georger"... meaning I often mark my bills with a Where's George stamp so I can track how my money travels. It is an inexpensive hobby I really enjoy. You can learn more about it at www.wheresgeorge.com

No comments:

Post a Comment