Monday, May 12, 2014

From Dave Ramsey's site "The most important financial principle is contentment.  It brings peace and the freedom to be generous."

I absolutely love this.

I have been accused of being overly stringent, and  "so cheap" it makes others want to pull their hair out. Now, I am not sure WHY anyone feels that way, as nothing I have done has affected the actions of anyone else.   I give away a hefty portion of my salary each and every pay period. When I go out to eat, the waitress gets a 20% tip.  I've traveled to well over half the US.... on a shoestring budget. One of the best meals I had in Hawaii was on the Big Island and cost under $12... and my travel companion agreed it was one of our best.  In no way at all does me cutting corners negatively impact anyone who comes into contact with me.

I personally believe the reason behind the desire to label me as being "so cheap" it is that most people can't fathom going without anything they want for any length of time in this culture.  And they either feel some degree of guilt that they don't want to make a sacrifice for financial gain, or are terribly jealous that I seem to have the resolve to meet my financial goals and they keep spending themselves further away from theirs. . So, they want to attach a negative connotation to what I am doing instead of reflecting on the huge positives this is bringing to my life.. and lives of others.

What I am is content. I am content to buy second hand clothing, and feel no need to have new, off the rack clothing.  I am content to wait for a year to get the Chamilia charm I want for my Pandora bracelet so that I can purchase it 40% off instead of full price. I don't HAVE to see the movie first run, and am happy to wait two weeks to see it when I use a discounted coupon, or better yet, wait until I can see it in the cheap theater at a matinee for $2.50, or even BETTER... wait until it hits redbox for $1.29.

And I would so much rather take the extra $8-$9 I didn't spend having to go to a first run movie by waiting until it hit's redbox and spend $8 in the grocery store to drop off a bag full of bargain purchased groceries at the local food bank.


No comments:

Post a Comment