Monday, March 24, 2014

March 24, 2014

Today's Menu:

Breakfast:
Greek Yogurt Cup  ($0.53)
coffee with 1 T cream  ($0.04 for cream) (I've not included a cost for coffee as I have had it for so long, I am not sure what I paid for it)

Mid Morning Snack:
Banana  ($0.08)

Lunch:
Wisconsin Mac n Cheese ($0.75)
1/2 cup stewed tomatoes ($0.20)
apple

Mid afternoon Snack
baby carrots (85 gm) ($0.12)

Dinner
Baked chicken leg/thigh, no skin  ($0.50)
small baked potato (200 g) ($0.08)
2 cups cabbage sauteed in 2 tsp olive oil ($0.25)
1 tsp butter

Snack
baby carrots (85 b gm)($0.12)

Total $2.67 for the day
1550 Calories

Recipe of the Day:
Wisconsin Mac N Cheese, Noodles & Company Style

I searched the web for this recipe, and had to make a few tweaks myself:

8 oz elbow macaroni
1 T butter
1 T flour
1 c 1% milk
1/4 t paprika
1/8 t pepper
1/4 t salt
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese

Cook pasta according to directions.

While pasta is cooking:

Melt butter in a pan.  Shake together in a shaker jar all other ingredients except the cheese.  Add to melted butter and stir.  Heat to simmering, and then stir in the monterey jack cheese.  Stir until melted.  Divide the cheese sauce into the bottom of 4 serving bowls.

Top each serving of cheese sauce with 1/4 of the drained, cooked, hot macaroni.

Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese evenly over the 4 pasta servings.

Serve;  to eat, stir to mix, enjoy!

Calories per serving: 410

To make this dish as inexpensively as possible:  I used a Target mobile coupon combined with in store sales and Target Cartwheel offers for both the pasta and cheese.  My bag of cheese cost $1.18, and I did not use the entire bag.  The pasta cost was $0.25.

In PA Dutch Country, Mac n Cheese is always served with a side of stewed tomatoes!



2 comments:

  1. I'm taking up your challenge VERY seriously for myself. Feeding two will be a little different, but I think not that much. I'm really getting excited about pushing myself to save with our grocery budget and being on a fixed income. With food going up all the time, it really is a challenge to eat healthy and save some dollars at the same time. Great idea making soup and freezing. I usually cook for just two which is a challenge also. I'm experimenting with all KINDS of soups and chili's right now. Just made some kale potato soup. Soup is always a very cost effective way to feed us and I always freeze enough for at least 2-3 more meals. I make soup or chili at least once a week or more. We even enjoy it during the summer. We are coming into a perfect time of year to eat lots of fresh produce so that's even more encouraging. Are you going to post your recipe for "cabbage rolls"? tatrec aka Tyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyson... I think on Tuesday a recipe for easy cabbage roll casserole is going to be posted. No rolls involved... it is just too much work, but all the ingredients are the same!

    ReplyDelete